-----Original Message-----
From: Brian E Carpenter [mailto:brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2011 6:49 PM
To: Hemant Singh (shemant)
Cc: james woodyatt; ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Why has RFC 4941 been designed in such a way, that it might
causeaddress conflicts?

>Good idea, where's the wiki?

Ah, none that I know of.  Also, I am only catching up to 6man email this
weekend being busy in the week with v6ops emails.  If a wiki does not exist for
such issues, we could start one.  Since our cable IPv6 home devices such as
cable modems and IPv6 CE Routers (standalone or combined inside a modem) are
assumed to provide no console, we have specified use of a DAD Proxy at the
first-hop IPv6 router.  This first-hop router is also the access concentrator
(a CMTS - Cable Modem Termination System) for cable broadband.  Note since the
cable network is an end-to-end IP network, it is easier for cable to specify
support for DAD Proxy at the CMTS.  DSL which is not end-to-end at the IP layer
has more issues to deal with.  The reason is that a SP has console access to
the CMTS and if the CMTS supports a DAD Proxy, the SP at least knows which home
the failure has occurred in and take some action.  Without the CMTS supporting
DAD proxy, the DAD failure for a modem or CE festers for an
  error with the modem or CE dead in the water.   Of course, the home customer
would call the SP in such a situation but it's better for the SP to be
proactive to catch the error before any home user calls.

It's also interesting that even when the SP has detected a DAD Duplicate, what
does the SP do besides shutting down one of the two nodes that clashed for the
same IPv6 link-local address.

Thanks,

Hemant