Hi Scott,

On 31.03.2011 13:18, Scott Brim wrote:
>> Perhaps something a bit more relevant to IETF is generating a ULA prefix
>> from a VIN?
>
> If these addresses will never be used for anything except diagnostics
> and internal communications, then okay, but this looks like a classic
> case of a net that is going to start out with just local use, and soon
> move to needing global addresses.  Hey, I know, NAT.

We are currently designing a security architecture for cars
that use IPv6 for their internal communications. For this
internal communication, you may use this ULA-like prefix.
If external connectivity is required (which will be the case),
this may happen by dedicated ALGs or proxies, making sure
that the safety-critical internal communications is not
affected adversely. Filtering traffic would be easier
using something like ULAs. Direct, unauthorized access to the ECUs
is therefore unwanted and unlikely.

Regards,
 Roland