On 06/04/2011 03:01 p.m., Fernando Gont wrote:

>> I think we can assume that if we use both the src/dst, we will get a
>> good degree of distribution in the values. Adding the Flow Label gives
>> more. I am just not convinced that to get good distribution we need to
>> *require* (or strongly suggest) psuedo randomness in the Flow
>> Lable. We know that by simply incrementing the Flow Label by 1 for
>> each flow, we get sufficient distribution. That is *way* easier to
>> implement than something else.
>
> What we want is unpredictable flow numbers, with a low frequency of FL
> reuse. A typical call to random() would be just *one*¨way to do it. But,
> as noted, there are others.
>
> For hash-based algorithms, you only compute the hash once for each flow.
> Then you simply increment the FL for each packet you send for that flow.

Sorry. Please let me correct myself:

The hash is computed only once for each flow. And every time a new flow
is created, a global counter is incremented.

When a new flow is created, the FL is selected by the expresion:
FL = hash(src ip, dst ip) + counter
and the counter is incremented

So, the FL of successive Flow Labels between the same set of IPv6
addresses will have monotonically-increasing FLs.

The table in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-6man-flowlabel-security-01
illustrates this much better.

Thanks,