The IPv6 headers are 20 bytes bigger than IPv4 headers, so a fairer
comparison is 1500 against 1260 (1260=1280-20).  That is, with a 1500
byte MTU with IPv4, the effective data payload is 1480 bytes (assuming
no IP options, which is a reasonable assumption with IPv4); with a
1280 byte MTU with IPv6, the effective data payload is 1240 bytes
(assuming no IPv6 extensions).  That's a 16.2% reduction in data
payload size from IPv4 to IPv6, with a commensurate increase in
number of packets to send the same data (assuming MTU-sized packets).

This isn't quite "packets per second will increase by 16.2%", though,
as of course not all packets are 'full'.  But there will be a pps
increase.

-d