> In the most common usage of this header, the border router inserts a
> source routing header with the full set of intermediate nodes before
> forwarding it towards the destination within the RPL network.

and then.

> Yes, we do not use IP-in-IP tunneling and instead simply insert the RH head=
> er in the packet.

What specification are you following that says do this?

Routing headers (as designed and specified) are inserted by an
originating node (whether the original sender or a tunnel entry
point). If you have a middle node insert this header to an existing
packet, no suprise things are not going to work.

Thomas