On 06  May 2011, at 21:23 , Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> I'm hard over on a MUST NOT. What we've been arguing with Thomas is really
> about
> how to express the warning that the flow label might get undetectably changed
> by
> an on-path device, even though that is against the standard. A node downstream
> from the change can't tell that it was changed, whether maliciously or
> by a misguided firewall.

Brian,

  As Wes and others (including me) have been pointing out is that the
IPv6 specs have been ambiguous about the Flow Label field for a very long
time (i.e. including before this current set of I-Ds).  The specs have
tried simultaneously both to discourage modification of the Flow Label
field (which I believe everyone agrees is strongly desirable in normal
circumstances) and simultaneously recognising that the field might be
changed (i.e. in some other circumstances).

  This issue is very far from new.  As the AH designer/author, I can say
that the reason AH doesn't include the Flow Label field in its integrity
checks is that network operators (a term I use to mean *anyone* who operates
any network, whether service provider, content provider, home network,
enterprise network, educational network, or other network) way back
in the early 1990s were clear that in some circumstances the Flow Label
field would be changed during transit.  The IPv6 WG was comfortable
with that at the time.

  Further, other IETF standards-track specifications (e.g. RFC-2402,
Section 3.3.3.1.2.1; RFC-4302, Section 3.3.3.1.2.1) clearly note the
IPv6 Flow Label as "mutable".  RFC-1886 Section 6 and RFC-2460 Section 6
both require that hosts/routers *that do not support the Flow Label*
not modify it, but does NOT require that hosts/routers that do support
the Flow Label not modify its value.  RFC-4302 specifically notes that
RFC-2460 does permit modification of the IPv6 Flow Label.  The Security
Gateways I've been talking about clearly DO support the Flow Label,
so are NOT covered by that prohibition.  It is only with RFC-3697
that an attempt is made to prohibit modification of the Flow Label
in transit -- but of course there are a number of IPv6 devices
deployed that pre-date that specificatio.  Further, RFC-3697
does NOT claim to update RFC-2460 (and RFC-2460 does allow
modification).

  So there is an inherent ambiguity in the set of IETF standards-track
specifications on this topic.  It is also quite clear the IPv6 WG
does NOT have some sort of long-standing agreement that this practice
should be prohibited; instead the long-standing situation is that change
should be strongly discouraged (i.e. SHOULD NOT), but is both expected
and tolerated in the (few) situations where it is necessary from an
operational security perspective.

  Your assertion that a firewall modifying the Flow Label field is
"misguided" is not technically sound.  In some deployment situations,
rewriting the Flow Label field (e.g. from some received value which
might contain covert information to some different value which the
security gateway determines does not contain covert information)
is the only technically sound behaviour.  Those situations are not
numerous, fortunately.

  I find it curious that you aren't addressing the technical issues
that various folks are raising here, instead solely talking about
legalistic claims.  If you have a concrete technical issue,
please put it forward and lets discuss it.  It is also wrong to try
to separate this concern from Thomas Narten's concern as they are
quite closely related and inter-twined.

Yours,

Ran Atkinson