Joel jaeggli <joe...@bogus.com> wrote:

|> Jeroen Massar <jer...@unfix.org> wrote:

|> |
|> |You do realize that the RIRs are providing exactly what you describe? :)
|>
|> Except that RIRs generally charge a high rent for those addresses and/or
|> impose constraints on how they can be used.  ULAs were supposed to be a
|> replacement for site local addresses, available to anyone for any purpose.
|
|Even a cursory glance at RFC 4193 would cause you to conclude that they
|are not in fact to be used for any purpose.

Rather than taking a cursory glance at RFC4193 I suggest that you take a
more detailed look at the discussion surrounding the deprecation of site
local addresses and the (supposed) superior replacement in the form of ULAs.
That the promise of ULAs was never fulfilled is unfortunate but completely
predictable (and in fact I predicted it at the time) given the financial
model of global address rental.

                                Dan Lanciani
                                ddl@danlan.*com