Title: RFC: Object Pooling Package

Here's one of the proposals I was talking about in my earlier email. I thought we could kick it around a little bit before submitting a real proposal.

This package provides interfaces and a couple implementations for pooling arbitrary Java objects.  The intent is to follow a modular design that allows different object factory and object pool implementations to be plugged together easily.  This is of course the basis for the database connection pooling package, but is useful for other tasks as well.

One of the impls in this bundle relies upon the CursorableLinkedList defined in the proposed commons-collections package.

For the time being, the package can be found in the bundle at http://www.webappcabaret.com/rwald/commons/.  I'll move it into the sandbox when I get access.

I've listed the set of DBCP volunteers as the initial set of committers, but don't take that as gospel.

Comments?

- R.

Proposal for Object Pool Package
[Revision: $Id:$]

(0) Rationale

Often a Java application makes use of instances or resources that
are expensive to create or that need to be limited due to
external constraints.  A database or other network connections are
leading, although certainly not the only, examples of this
situation. A pool of instances can be helpful in these circumstances.

A Commons package for object pooling would give committers an
opportunity to coordinate their efforts and create and maintain an
efficient, feature-rich package under the ASF license.

(1) Scope of the Package

The package will create and maintain an object (instance) pooling
package to be distributed under the ASF license.

The package should support a variety of pool implementations, but
encourage support of an interface that makes these implementations
interchangeable.

(2) The Initial Source of the Package

The initial codebase was contributed by Rodney Waldhoff from
a working project and can be distributed under the Apache license.

(2.1) The Base Name of the Package

org.apache.commons.pool

(3) Jakarta Commons Resources to be Created

(3.1) Mailing List

Until traffic justifies, the package will use the Jakarta-Commons
list.

(3.2) CVS Repositories

For the time being, the package will use a root branch of the
Jakarta-Commons CVS repository.

(3.3) Bugzilla

The package should be listed as a component under the Jakarta-Commons
Bugzilla entry.

(3.4) Jyve FAQ (when available)

commons-pool

(4) Identify the Initial Set of Committers

[same set as the proposed dbcp package]

Morgan Delagrange
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Craig R. McClanahan