Ted Husted :

> I would also say that, as a Commons Committer, he can open whiteboard
> directories in the main CVS now and then call for a vote on the initial
> release later.

Two issues here:

I] Regarding 'a vote on the initial release', I thought the vote would
be on making the project into a 'Commons component', not on the
releasability of that project.

II] Regarding random whiteboard directories under the main CVS :

Can we try to avoid that if possible, and consider the
jakarta-commons-sandbox CVS as the 'whiteboard' area for
non-yet-voted-on component source?

There are a few reasons I ask :

1) The jakarta-commons 'main CVS' are the components that we have all
agreed are the individual entities that make up Commons.  It makes up
the parts of the Commons project that is supported code with a charter.
Having arbitrary stuff under a top-level whiteboard would be confusing.
Of course, each component project can whiteboard to their hearts content
under their own section of jakarta-commons.

2) Since we have the sandbox that is equivalent in capability and
access, keeping the not-yet-approved components there keeps the sandbox
complete as the place for proposed and embryonic projects.

3) This will help keep the size of the jakarta-commons main CVS limited
to that of the supported components.  I am afraid that the monolithic
CVS tree may get ungainly over time as Commons grows, so keeping the
main CVS limited to the actual supported components may help in this
regard.

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]