Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> I understand what you are saying, but how does making the user go
> 'fetch' solve anything if that user wants to build two components of the
> Commons package, and they require different versions of Ant?  Should we
> ask the user to go download and install *two* different versions of
> Ant?  And then force them to diddle with their classpath for each
> component build step?

Read what Craig wrote.  Or what I wrote.

Nobody said that a downloadable tgz or zip should be incomplete.  Take a
look at the downloadable builds of tomcat_4.0 or avalon.

> I believe that if you are depending
> upon a specific released version of a jar

....Important bulletin: we interrup this quote to bring you the preferred
completion of this sentence:

   DON'T.

If we want to build a composable system we can't affort to have brittle and
early-bound dependencies.

The place to start is with Commons.

- Sam Ruby