> Are you sure resources are recovered by the DB
> when the VM shutdowns? it seems to me that
> this can depend on the quality of the
> JDBCdriver code, db code or something else..
> not something i feel confortable with..

Well, we could invoke clear as part of the pool finalizer, or something like
that.

According to the JavaDocs for java.sql.Connection, "A Connection is
automatically closed when it is garbage collected." and I assume (perhaps
incorrectly) that everything get's gc-ed when the VM is shut down.  But
you're right, fundamentally it is up to the JDBC implementation to make sure
that the resources on the database side are freed.