"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> > I understand.  But the freedom you have with specification of the
> > external/override properties via the build.xml is nice, I think.
> >

> It does exactly the same thing.  All we are doing is changing the name.

LOL.

I understand that.  What I meant was since we can specify it easily and
clearly in the build.xml, the name 'build.properties' is a nice, clear,
expressive-of-purpose name, rather than  .ant.properties, which novice
unix users might have trouble finding, and the Windows pointy-clicky
crowd can't create :)

> > Wouldn't we pickup the users default .ant.properties anyway?
> >

> I have not looked at the Ant source code, but my understanding is that
> this is not implicit -- you have to declare it in your build.xml file if
> you want this.

So there's nothing magic about 'ant.properties' other than
convention...  certainly someone thought that it would be useful to
change the  name, I suppose, or the feature wouldn't be in there...

I don't care.  I like the technique - used it in my personal beanutils
setup - am indifferent to the name.

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]