I think fleshing out cactus to have more functional testing support is
a great idea.

You could (perhaps with some discussion from Morgan) include the XML
tools that Morgan put into the sandbox a while back.  Those tools allow
for XML validation against a DTD and for arbitrary XPath queries.

I think that having those XML tools coupled with HttpUnit (or something
similar) could be extremely powerful for performing
functional/integration tests.

One could define a DTD that webpages are supposed to fit, then ensure
that programmatically generated pages are meeting the spec. One could
also find and evaluate portions of web responses.  I think both of
these needs are weaknesses in HttpUnit currently.

Also, I agree that JUnit does not strictly imply "unit" testing, but is
a flexible test framework. In that way it is somewhat of a misnomer.