At 10:55  6/5/01 -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>The issue I have with ant ... inappropriate for something
>that should be able to be used as an installer and build
>bootstrapper as well.

I am curious - why do you think that?

>Coming from a non-Java background, one of the things that fills me with
>rapturous joy about Java is the portable bytecode idea - it's so easy to
>just use stuff...  I love that... I don't want to *install* anything if
>I don't have to, and expecially don't want to depend upon environment
>variables if I don't have to.  Yech.

In Ant2 unless you live on the foul monstrosity of an OS Win9x you wont
have to worry about env vars (though you already don't have to worry about
them if you are on NT/unix).

>I'm not sure about that, because if you are using this, and we make it
>trustworthy, you know what's going to happen.  I think the CLASSPATH
>idea leads to more wonderment and mystery over where classes come from.
>I avoid the environmental CLASSPATH at all costs if I can, and if not,
>am very careful.

Worse - much much much worse is the ext dirs. Silent unnanounced additions
to CLASSPATH ... *shudder*

>I think "most java devlopers have started to use ant" is a very long
>stretch, IMHO.

I would modify that to most java developers who don't use an IDE use ant -
would you agree with that?

Cheers,

Pete