From: "Geir Magnusson Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> The issue I have with ant, and I realize that this is orthogonal to the
> wishes of the ant community, is that for whatever reason, the ant-ers
> want ant to be an 'installed application', or so I'm told.

Who told you that? :-)

> That's fine
> for a dedicated ant-using developer - it's a great app and I use it that
> way - but that's inappropriate for something that should be able to be
> used as an installer and build bootstrapper as well.

I have been doing some experiments for Ant-2 ideas and one of these was to
be able to run Ant remotely. In the experiments, I was able to get Ant
running with just three local classes, a class to find the Ant components,
a classloader and the class providing main(). One application of this idea
is a simple installer for Ant but I think it can also support your ideas
here.

Conor