Vincent Massol wrote:

>"Geir Magnusson Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > Conor MacNeill wrote:
> > >
> > > From: "Geir Magnusson Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> the
> > >
> > > Who told you that? :-)
> >
> > To my best recollection, it was Vince who brought it up when we were
> > discussing Cactus, and was confirmed by sam, I think.
> >

> hum .. hum ... I don't know what ant-ers think but I know that in the
> current state, Ant is supposed to be run as an 'installed application' (see
> Ant documentation). Meaning you type 'ant xxx' from the prompt. I don't know
> about Ant2 but viewing Ant as a component would really be neat I think.
> There are lots of applications that would need the power of Ant from the
> inside (a first example that comes to mind is an IDE) ...

We use it in velocity-land as a component - we have a build script that
sets everything up and then invokes ant - the only external dependency
is JAVA_HOME.  Works like a charm, and conceptually elegant for people
who don't have ant installed.  Since we use a normal build.xml, the 'ant
[<target>]' crowd (myself included) is happy as well.

You can see why I was so surprised to see the supposed requirement to
install it.

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting