Hi Everybody,

Here is an initial set of classes that implements JNLP on the server
side. It is an early release, only few features are implemented and
further testing is needed. Despite that, the released classes should
form a good starting point for completely implementing the protocol.

As discussed before, my intention is to create a directory in the
Sandbox to host this project, hopefully with the help of interested
users and developers / committers.

Here follows a brief description of what is incuded and actually implemented
in this first early release, then there is a (brief) formal proposal about
the project.

Thanks for your attention,
Mauro

---

    Juniper 0.1
    -----------
Zip file contents:
  - An example, ready to be used, with source code and instructions
included.
  - The commented source code.

Features implemented:
 - Basic class framework for handling all the protocol functionalities
 - Version-based file download, tested with Java Web Start 1.0.1 ea
 - source is provided with a basic but throughout documentation.

Not Yet implemented in this release:
 - JarDiff handling (though not mandatory from JNLP Specs.)
 - "Version.xml" facility for attaching attributes to file resources
    to be deployed. This feature is not mentioned in the current
    Specs.(In this release, only the Sun file naming convention has
    been implemented, as described in the 1.0.1.ea developers
    package servlet documentation)
 - Extensions download
 - etc.

---

    Proposal for Jakarta Commons Juniper project:

    (0) rationale

The goal of this package (and its sub-packages) is to provide a
server-side implementation of the Java Network Launching
Protocol (JNLP) for downloading over the Net Java applications
and Applets.
Currently there is no such an implementation, apart from the only
available one, provided by Sun, but only for development.
The project implementation is based on servlets and it can used
with any standard Servlet Container.

    (1) scope of the subproject

Providing a sound and reliable implementation of the Java
Network Launching Protocol, using the included base of
classes as a starting point.

    (2) identify the initial source for the package

The initial codebase was contributed by Mauro Marinilli and
can be distributed under the Apache license.
The source is attached.

    (2.1) identify the base name for the package

    org.apache.commons.juniper

    (3) Jakarta-Commons resources

    (3.1) mailing list

    the project will use the Jakarta-Commons list for
communications.

    (3.2) CVS repositories

    The package will use a branch of the Jakarta-Commons
Sandbox CVS.

    (4) identify the initial set of committers to be listed in the
Status File.

To Be discussed.