This sort of thing was posted as a proposal to general@ by James House
and can be viewed here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/general%40jakarta.apache.org/msg00869.html

IIRC, he has started a cron like java utility to replicate the
commercial product Flux.  It is now located at sourceforge.net under the
project name quartz.

I know he has interest in being involved with Jakarta, so maybe now
would be a good time to combine what Turbine and Avalon and Quartz have
for the commons good as well ;-)

I would be +1 on something like this, although I am sure that Peter will
point out that Avalon has this, so I am also for housing it in Avalon,
as an example of the framework, something like the (new)
jakarta-turbine-jyve format.

Scott Sanders