On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 09:18:04PM +0100, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On Sunday, July 29, 2001, at 07:02 PM, Scott Sanders wrote:
>
> > Bring it on!
>
> the way that matching rules work at the moment are a concern to me.
> (maybe i don't understand then well enough - or maybe they need enhancing.
>   i'm going to write as if i understand them but i'm sure you'll set me
> right where i don't)
>
> the current way that matching rules work means that the number of rules
> required rises almost exponentially for complex schema.
>
> you can only wildcard prefixes (*/a but not a/*). this means that you end
> up having a rule for every child for a parent that adds child in a certain

... etc. Ithink that in digester it would be a good idea to change the
JSP-ish matching rules to XPATH expressions. At the same time digester
could use JDOM or DOM4J (they have esstially the same XPATH engine).
XPATH was designed to walk through an XML graph, so you can express
as complex or as simple rules as you want. both JDOM and DOM4j gives
you a pretty convenient (I mean collections) interface to the
document. Comments?

incze