On Monday, July 30, 2001, at 06:15 PM, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Incze Lajos wrote:

<snip>

>> ... etc. Ithink that in digester it would be a good idea to change the
>> JSP-ish matching rules to XPATH expressions. At the same time digester
>> could use JDOM or DOM4J (they have esstially the same XPATH engine).
>> XPATH was designed to walk through an XML graph, so you can express
>> as complex or as simple rules as you want. both JDOM and DOM4j gives
>> you a pretty convenient (I mean collections) interface to the
>> document. Comments?
>>

> I don't have a problem with thinking about different rule matching
> syntaxes (it would be simple to use regular expressions, for example).
> But, fundamentally, the current Digester is a wrapper around SAX, not
> around a DOM tree of any sort.

you're right, of course.

darn - wish i'd got your last email before i'd sent my last reply :)

full support for regex's isn't really needed to solve the problem of using
digester with complex schema. the minimum is the ability to have some
matching rules which can bypass the longest-key principle for matching
patterns and having the ability to match children of a particular parent.

- robert