On 7/31/01 1:58 PM, "David Winterfeldt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I made a simple logging interface so I could switch
> from standard out, the servlet log, log4j, or the sun
> logging api (only standard out and the servlet log are
> implemented).  It isn't a complete logging interface,
> but it is the general idea.  If you want to look at
> it, it is in cvs.

There are 10 of them lying around jakarta, velocity has one, there's
one in tomcat, yours, there was one in turbine. I do not see any
benefit in using any of these interfaces over log4j. No simple
logging interface is going to come anywhere close to features
that log4j provides. It is 60k for the core bundle, but everyone
needs logging and I think we should settle on something that
is well tested and has worked for literally hundreds of projects
already.

In time it will probably come down to log4j or the Sun logging
API and they work in a very similar fashion and it would not
be hard to switch from one to the other because the semantics
are so close and they are getting closer after Ceki pointed
out some of the drawbacks of the logging API.

We could also work on making a skeletal version of log4j that
could be very small. I think we should work in this in the context
of the highly successful logging project we already have instead
of trying to roll yet another logging interface that is non-standard.

--

jvz.

Jason van Zyl

http://tambora.zenplex.org