Title: logging again (was RE: [httpclient] [VOTE] HTTP client 1.0 release)

> Is it planned to suggest to other commons components to
> try to have a similar behavior ?
>
> Remy

Yeah, I've got the same question.

It seems to me that if we're happy with this approach then we'll probably want to use it in some of the other components (cache and dbcp both seem like reasonable candidates for logging for example).  If that's the case, then we certain don't want to reproduce this code (and this packaging) everywhere (otherwise our Log impls won't be interoperable across components).  So what do we do?  Purpose what's currently in the httpclient.log package as a distinct commons package?  Try to lobby the log4j folks to produce a similar Log/Category abstraction that is distributed in a tiny jar?  I lean toward the latter but I don't know how hard that will be or how long that would take.  Perhaps a commons package is the way to go in the short run?