----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason van Zyl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Vincent Massol" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2001 10:04 PM
Subject: Re: Naming JARs

> On 8/22/01 4:20 PM, "Vincent Massol" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Yes, we discussed this issue, here on jakarta-commons, last week ... :-)
> >
> > As I mentionned earlier, I really don't like the version in jars because
:

> > * it messes almost all the tools. For example, let's imagine you're in
> > JBuilder. You create a library that points to
commons-httpclient-1.0.jar.
> > Then comes the 1.1, you need to edit all the places where you references
the
> > jar
>
> I don't use Jbuilder so I don't know how it does builds, can it integrate
> with Ant? I think the automated build task would take care of this because
> there wouldn't be any references to the jars files in the project build,
it
> would all be taken care of automatically.

JBuilder is just an example ... :-) Take any IDE, it would be the same. Ant
is a bit an exception because you can use wildcards so you could get by but
still I prefer to name the jars because they are not the same for all the
tasks (jars needed for stylebook are not the same as jars needed for javac).

> > * you need special cases to handle nightly builds. It is even worse than
the
> > above mentionned point because you need to change the reference every
day

> I don't think the nightly builds JAR name should change everyday, I wasn't
> suggesting using the date in the name. Just because another day rolls by
> doesn't mean the patch number changes.

good ... :) what I'm saying is that no version in the name would also work
for night builds.

> > * there is a standard way : using MANIFEST files.
>
> Sorry, but that's not the standard way. Nothing is standard, JARs I have
> have the mixture described above: jars from Sun, jars from Jakarta and
jars
> from xml.apache.org.

well, it is the "specified" way (i.e. in the spec.). If other project are
not putting their version at least in the MANIFEST, they are not following
the spec ... :(

> > As a user, the repository
> > is something opaque, I don't care how it is managed internally, I just
want
> > to ask it for a given version and it returns the corresponding jar
(without
> > version name). It could easily be implemented with version in
directories.

> How about asking for versions of thing at the task producing the correct
> classpath entry for you so you don't even have to worry about it?

I don't think it is a good idea to link JJAR with Ant at it's core as it
will be useful even outside Ant's scope. Don't forget that not everyone use
emacs or vi to code ... :)

-Vincent