On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 18:44, Stephane Bailliez wrote:
> All this clutters the name of the jar. So why not to a common jakarta
> manifest that will contain things such as:
>
> version.major: <digit>
> version.minor: <digit>
> version.quality: (development|alpha|beta|release-candidate|release)
> version.date: <yyyy.MM.dd hh:mm:ss z>
> version.debug: (true|false)
>
> as well as the name of the project of course.
> One thing that I may agree is the naming for a debug version that can be
> postfixed by 'd' but this is really secondary since nearly everything is
> built and shipped in debug.
>
> I think a common manifest it will greatly help to quickly identify binaries
> for end-users AND developers. it is painful to have all sort of binaries
> with version that are burned into the code.
> org.apache.xalan.xsl.EnvironmentCheck is a first step to identify xerces,
> xalan and potentially jaxp and crimson that can save you some time by not
> decompiling a jar.
> Sometimes the version is simply not available.

Theres already a common standard for this in JDK1.2+. Basically have a look
at Package versioning in jdk1.2 docs or Optional Extension Versioning in
jdk1.3 docs. It does not have all the features but it has a lot of them.
Anyways I am currently implementing/stealing loaders and parsers etc for all
this stuff for a project I am working on so feel free to ask for code if you
go this path ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete