On 24 Aug 2001, Daniel Rall wrote:

> Date: 24 Aug 2001 12:53:17 -0700
> From: Daniel Rall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: cvs commit:
>     jakarta-commons-sandbox/util/src/java/org/apache/commons/util
>     EnumerationIterator.java
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > How freaky. I just added the same thing but as a part of a
> > CollectionsUtils class.
>
> I thought the same thing when I happened upon it while looking through
> CollectionUtils!  :)
>
> > I thought that would be a good way to hide it so
> > a later stage could see it using the Commons.Collections version.
>
> I really wanted to have the Util pacakge not depend upon any other
> libraries.  Do you think we should make an exception in case of the
> Collections library?

It certainly seems that the collections package should have an
EnumerationIterator in it -- that's a very useful adapter between the old
style and new style collection classes.

You could make the same sort of case that a version of SequencedHashtable
should go there also.

As for whether commons-util should have their own copy, that seems a
tougher call (although I note that "no dependencies" was part of the
original intent).  Are there really that many use cases where commons-util
would be included and commons-collections would not?

Craig