On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 22:55 +1000, Rick Measham wrote:
> I'm trying to sort out how to get a bot to deal with subscriptions and
> the RFC is just confusing me -- it switches between what a server should
> do and what a client should do too often!
>
> The docs here:
> http://wiki.jabber.org/index.php/Programming_Jabber_Clients :are really
> good .. but they don't talk about subscriptions at all.
>
> Can someone help me work this out?
> [..]

In short this should work (works for the Jaiku IM bot, where many users
are using Google Talk):

- Connect and authenticate as a client
- Request the roster (so you will receive presence and subscription
updates.
- Respond to incoming <presence type='subscribe'/> with <presence
type='subscribed'/>
- Return the favour by sending <presence type='subscribe'/>, too.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm