I run multiple Windows XP VMs with no issues.  I set them up using "Java
Web Start" and once they are started click on "File" in the pop up window
to enable them as a service on that Windows XP machine (for me they are
VMs).  Once I set them up as a service, I change the account that the
service runs under (I needed this, but you may not) by going to "Services"
on the Win XP VM and restarting the service.  It works great.  Have you
tried this and you are not getting it working?