Hi,

I just grabbed the latest CVS and used it to build my portal against.
I have a build that mimics the bluesunrise JPortal tutorial
where it just merges modifications to the source of an existing Jetspeed portal.

I'm having a problem where any velocity template that references a
$l10n variable bombs.  For instance, I have my own velocity template
for logging in and I copied it almost totally from the default top.vm.
This worked fine against CVS source from 2003-02-25.  When building
against the CVS source from today (2003-03-12) I get messages
like the following....

In the browser I see...

org.apache.turbine.util.TurbineException: Error rendering Velocity template:
/portlets/html/login-usscportal.vm: Invocation of method
'get("USERFORM_USERNAMEMSG")' in class
org.apache.jetspeed.services.customlocalization.CustomLocalizationTool threw
exception class java.lang.NullPointerException

In velocity.log, I see...

2003-03-12 17:34:35,138 - ResourceManager : found
/portlets/html/login-usscportal.vm with loader
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.loader.FileResourceLoader
2003-03-12 17:34:35,138 - Method get threw exception for reference $l10n in
template /portlets/html/login-usscportal.vm at  [17,15]

This is all because I reference...

$l10n.USERFORM_USERNAMEMSG

That very same variable is referenced in top.vm of the default war
distribution of Jetspeed and works fine.  Why can't I reference it in my own velocity
template...especially since I used to be able to reference it in my
own velocity template as recently as the CVS from 2003-02-25???  Is this
a backward compatibility issue?

Jake

--
Best regards,
 Jacob                          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]