I just wanted to note that I solved this issue by extending IFramePortlet and adding the current username/password to the URL such as....

Given in xreg config...
https://www.myexternalsite.com/someapp/

After going through my custom IFramePortlet...
https://someuser:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/someapp/

Note that this assumes that the site in question is using BASIC authentication. I also recommend that this *only* be done when using SSL. Some might not even be comfortable with the fact that the <iframe> src attribute has the username/password combo written there is plain site of someone doing a view-source. But, it is a solution if you are comfortable with it.

Jake