At 06:33 PM 10/25/2003 -0700, you wrote:
Xerces (and xalan) will not be used from a classpath. You need to put it
(usually along with xalan.jar and xml-apis.jar -- get the latest) in the
$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/endorsed directory.

This is only partially true. It is true for xml-apis.jar and xalan.jar. This is because JDK1.4 already incorporates the various xml apis that come with xml-apis.jar and a very old and buggy version of Xalan. This, by definition, makes them "endorsed libraries". Xerces itself does not fall under that definition because there is no package it contains that the JDK itself contains (other than xerces-2.5.0, where it contains org.w3c.dom.html.HTMLDOMImplementation which is non-standard, but included because enough people out there use it, but excluded from xml-apis.jar because, as mentioned, it is non-standard. Note that the org.w3c.dom.ls package is *not* endorsed because it doesn't already exist in the JDK).

So, Xerces should be picked up just fine from the classpath, but makes sure you place the mentioned jars in the "endorsed" directory.

Jake