Hi Kate,

>Ultimately, no one but Joni can say what or who her songs are really about
& I don't know if she >ever has said so publicly.

Sometimes she has spoken publicly about her real life expereiences that
inspired a song, such as "Big Yellow Taxi" (visiting an increasing
paved-over Oahu); "Night Ride Home" (driving alongside Larry one night on
Maui), "Man From Mars" (when Nietzsche the cat ran away), Woodstock
(watching it from afar on TV), "Furry Sings the Blues" (her visit with the
ailing Furry Lewis) and even "Empty, Try Another" (about an empty cigarette
machine outside a recording studio whose "kerchunk" sound was later sampled
on that song ;-)  On many of her early taped "coffee-house" performances
between songs she has chatted about some of the real life characters in her
songs, including "Carey," the friend who inspired "Winter Lady," Rose from
"Roses Blue" and others.  Some of the songs we can easily guess about like
"Little Green" (about giving up Kiluaren for adoption), "Dawntreader" (about
her time with Crosby in Florida)  "Willy" (Graham Nash's childhood and given
name) and half of the "Wild Things Run Fast" album which celebrates her
newfound love with Larry.  Hearing her talk about the real story behind some
of the songs only enhances them for me, too.

Kakki