I woke up about 4 last night, unable to go back to sleep.  Something has
kept bothering me about this whole thing, despite that peaceful feeling I
have been able to find.  So today, I started writing what was going to be
an application to this local, highly progressive independent bookstore,
and it turned into this essay about my whole experience and how much I
love Asheville and really want to stay.    The more I think about it, the
more this all seems very wrong, it has created unnecessary stress and
trauma in my life, and I realize that I was completely mislead, and I
still don't really know the extent of the damage that has been done as I
struggle to maintain the harmony that I have found here, feeling great,
then feeling as if I'm teetering on the edge of an abyss.  Almost the
same exact thing happened to me a little over a year ago in Atlanta but
this time I am not intimidated and I really feel that my voice should be
heard.  I took my essay to the "Mountain Express", the local paper here
and am hoping they will print it in next week's issue.  I want people
here to know the agony I have been put through which is in such stark
contrast to the kindness I have been shown in this town.

Asheville

My name is Victor Johnson. I recently moved here from Athens, Georgia
though I had previously lived in Atlanta for eight years. For several
years, I felt a growing desire to leave the city and find my way to a
more natural, beautiful, and spiritual environment and I was finally able
to do so about a month ago.

Malaprops itself actually became the catalyst that allowed me to make
this move. When visiting a friend a few months ago, I applied for a job I
found listed on the bulletin board, an artist seeking a personal
assistant. I made a call, agreed to call back the following week, drove
up (in the snow) for an interview at the Malaprops cafi, and was hired a
few weeks later. I found a friend who would put me up for a couple of
weeks, and I came to Asheville and began working for Haw Creek Forge.

I found myself working with two women who were super nice, a pleasure to
be with, and together, the three of us made what seemed to be a great
team. Meanwhile, the artist herself was in and out, and making plans to
move her business into a new warehouse location in Woodfin. This was to
be a new beginning or rather a step towards becoming a full fledged
business making and selling whimsical copper sculptures.

One day I took some time to find a place to live. I visited Malaprops
again, and called a really small ad on the wall, that I almost didnt
call as it was very small and somewhat nondescript. But it turned out to
be a wonderful apartment downtown in a rather large house with somewhat
of a communal living situation. The apartment itself is a work of art
with beautiful woodwork, marble, and tile work. I subsequently moved in
and have been extremely happy here, and have been very grateful that I
only had to make one phone call to find such an incredible place.

Anyway, amidst much chaos and confusion, Haw Creek Forge, was relocated
to this warehouse, shelves were built, stock put in place, plans put in
order and it seemed that the business had a new life, and was slowly
acclimating to this new location. I was to be in charge of shipping and
keeping track of inventory and readily assumed this position, at all
times, expressing the highest enthusiasm and displaying the strongest of
work ethics. I was given very little direction so I took it upon myself
to make every effort I could to familiarize myself with the products, and
attempt to unravel what in essence was a tangled mess. I made it my
priority to put all of my energy into this position, and went out of my
way to promote this business to friends both here in Asheville and across
the country as I have a rather large network of people I associate with.

Ill avoid going into too much detail but after dealing with a few snags
which I dealt with immediately as they became apparent, I found a good
rhythm with the shipping and assumed that this was to be my main role. I
continued to have an excellent rapport with the two women I had worked
with previously. I was told I had an excellent attitude and was invited
to accompany the artist to the Inman Park Arts Festival in Atlanta,
Georgia this coming weekend. Plans were made and I went as far as to line
up arrangements for a place to stay and strongly encouraged my friends in
Atlanta to come by the booth and see these wonderful products which are
truly beautiful.

Yesterday, when I showed up to work, I was told very abruptly that things
just werent working out, given some very small compensation, and was
summarily dismissed without any fanfare. This was extremely upsetting as
I made every attempt to be a stellar employee and put not only much time
and energy into Haw Creek Forge but all of my heart and soul and to have
that removed from my life so suddenly and impersonally was almost
disturbing. I am convinced that the two young women I spoke of earlier
had nothing to do with this and no knowledge of what I can only describe
as a complete shock.

I have received several messages of support from friends across the
country and the world, and many of them said that it never ceases to
amaze them, that employers who are in some state of disorganization and
have poor management will hire a top notch employee, give every
indication that by bringing in this new person, things will improve and
gain more stability and order, then every time some glitch in the old
system is exposed and uncovered, blame it on the new person, then simply
discard them like one would toss a can into a recycling bin. They may go
through this scenario several times and then they wonder why they cant
find any good employees.

I love Asheville. I moved here with every intention of making this my
permanent home and intend to stay here, as it is such an enriching
environment. I have been here less than a month but I have already been
steadily attending open mics, two or even three times a week, each time
having the most rewarding experience, both playing my own music and
listening to the most wonderfully talented musicians who are also very
warm and down to earth people. I have been hiking in the most beautiful
forests and sat in front of breathtaking waterfalls. I know with no
uncertainty that Asheville is the place for me to be.

For some time now, I have been planning to begin recording my second cd
and being here in Asheville has only heightened my sense of artistic
wonder and creativity, surely bringing me closer to the divine path that
I know I am led down. I find myself astonished daily at the kindness of
people and my belief in the goodness of humanity has been strengthened
immeasurably. I also have been intending to put together a new band to
pay tribute to the music of the Grateful Dead and Neil Young, an ensemble
which I feel will be unusual by its very nature, and very rewarding.

For the first time here in this fair bohemian mountain city, it would
seem that a dark shadow has fallen over me, but I am determined not to
succumb to its blackness, but to persevere and to find a way where there
is one. In old Buddhist teachings, it is said that when life seems very
difficult and obstacles seem insurmountable, you can be very sure that
there is another way. My only wish is to share and give back all the
light that has been shone on me. "I will take the ring though I do not
know the way," said Frodo as he began the long perilous journey to the
mountain of fire. I hope to have both the strength and tenacity of Frodo
as I seek another means of support.

          --- Victor Johnson--- [EMAIL PROTECTED]"Roses wait for
the springtime,They sleep beneath the ground.They hear March winds a
callin'For the sun to come around."vlj Visit
http://www.cdbaby.com/victorjohnson