Blasphemer!  Heretic!  Off with her head!

Gees Anne, you beat cancer TWICE only to be killed by
YOUR FRIENDS!   :)

Well, hmmm.  I'm conflicted about discussing this.  On
the one hand, "The Hissing Of Summer Lawns" is a
desert island disc to me.  I wouldn't change a
metaphorical hair on it's amazingly
wide-ranging-stylistic and lyrically-deep head.  I'm
mean, I'm afraid that lightning will strike me dead
from a clear sky just to ponder this.

But..... To me, the piano sound on "For The Roses"
sounds more like David Lahm in Michael Paz'es living
room.  I mean, FTR sounds more realistic than any of
the other albums.  In that regard, I'd agree.
Furthermore, while I love "Court And Spark", it sounds
better in the car and coming out of a K-Mart PA than
it does on premium vinyl.

But there are many, many areas where the ultimate
sound fidelity doesn't matter one whit, that I've
grown tired of hearing myself complain about dynamics,
transparency, & room sound.

Can you listen to Louis Armstrong in the "Hot Fives"
sessions?  Of course.  Would you rather listen
*exclusively* to Boney James because the sound is
clearer?  Not me.

So, for me, "The Hissing Of Summer Lawns" is a full
glass, briming over with exquisite stuff.  Ultimate
fidelity isn't one of them but it's a full glass
anyway.  To paraphrase Fred Simon, she makes music as
well as humans can make it.

All the best,
Lama
(posting on lunch break... a first)

Anne Sandstrom said,
>>I was wondering if others found the 'mix' of SoSC
disturbing - like the bass is too hot or something.
I've always thought it could have been engineered much
better than it is. (I used to think it was just a flaw
on the vinyl, but I hear the same thing on the CD.)>>
http://games.yahoo.com/