hi jane:

night ride home is my third favorite joni album out of the 20 or so.  it's
just an amazing piece of work.  i'm jealous of you, just getting to know it.

this is the text of an email about cd burning software from ron greer, i've
saved it.  haven't verified the information, haven't bought a burner yet.
anyone else have something to add?

patrick

np - greensleeves, arr. vaughn williams

Hi

        >>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
        >>I bought a new computer last night, and now have the ability to burn my
own
        >> CD's (Yes!), but really don't know where to begin.  I know this subject
has

& colin replied:

        >>colin
        >>I have been using Adaptec software and am happy with that. Mind you i
have not
        >>used any othet burning software. I find it easy to use.

i would imagine that your recorder would have come with some kind of
software??

having tried a number of other programs, i would definitely recomend adaptec
as being by far the best software for general copying use, with a nice, easy
to use, intuitive interface, nice features & good results.

there are however some other useful programs. exact audio copy, a free
program, downloadable off the net, has some very useful features, such as
noise filters, volume normalisation (esp useful on compilations where
volumes may vary), equalisation, and error correction. it is unfortunately a
fairly difficult program to get the hang of as the interface, and menus are
not particularly well designed.

nero is a program which can be purchased, and has most of the features of
exact audio, plus some added features, such as the ability to split tracks.
it is also more difficult to use than adaptec.

i would also recomend

        - use decent, branded blanks. they may cost a little more, but will give
you better quality copies, and less failures.

        - the more memory in your computer the better

        - when preparing a compilation, i generally find its best to copy the audio
tracks to hard drive first, then to the cd. this just makes it easier to
keep track of total cd time, and to make sure that you dont wind up with a
multi session disc. a session consists of audio (or data) track/s, and a
file table, telling the computer/hi fi where to find the tracks. while
computers can read multi session discs, hi-fi equipment generally can only
read the first session on a disc - this can be *very* frustrating :-)

enjoy it!!!! my cd recorder was one of my best investments!!!

ron