charles arehart wrote:

> I hope folks will check it out and report what you think of it. Indeed, I
> hope that the 5-user test may be helpful to some in doing their first load
> testing. Sure, 5 users isn't much, but if your site is relatively
> low-trafficked, you ever know what running 5 concurrent users might stress
> in your system. Think about it, to get 5 users at once some sites would need
> to average thousands of users a day. By the same token, even if you don't
> expect that load, it's also possible that you could have that load in a
> sudden burst. Hey, it's free, so try it out against as many threads through
> your site as you'd like. (It's not just a tool to test one page but instead
> acts like a record and playback while you traverse your site creating a
> "scenario".)

  I agree.

  I think that a 5-user test can create a lot of traffic.
We use Webload now (bought it), but did use an eval for
a while.

  Five users may not sound like a lot, but remember that it is
really 5 concurrent requests that you get. If you take out all
the pauses that occur in real life you can get a lot of hits
out of 5-user load tests.

  Also, even 5-user loads can show up threading/concurrency
issues much better than just clicking around by yourself. Apply
the 5-user load THEN click around for a while to see if anything
wacky happens.

  So far it still hasn't cost anything!

  - Chris Hamlin