You caught it. Basically, the list wants you to send back to the list and sets a mail
header to make sure it does so. On the other hand, if the mail was sent to a person
AND the list, the return address will be set for the list in one version of the mail
and to the person in another. You'll probably note that the email in question was
received twice (once personally and once from the list).