On Dec 11, 2008, at 3:24 PM, Peter E. Fry wrote:

Subject: Re: [j-nsp] Router selection, Juniper intro
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 22:45:32 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Ben Steele wrote:

For 15k get yourself an NPE-G2, it's not worth moving
platforms and your already invested 7200 modules [...]

I am leaning heavily towards used Juniper...  I might also
add that I  absolutely hate QoS stuff in IOS.  Most of it
I simply cannot wrap my head  around and then if I can I
more often than not find that it's not  supported on
whatever interface I'm needing it on.

 Junipers are a bit exciting that way, too.

Well, Juniper was started by ex-cisco folks, right? :)

[...]
Thanks for the input though, the NPE-Gx option is still on
the table.

 I have to agree with Ben, here.  The bottom line is "$15k"
-- I doubt you could get into an M series chassis with the
PICs you'd need, and the J series does not have the
interface selection (although the J6350 should outperform
the NPE-G2).

I do have a few folks from this list offering equipment, and the pricing so far looks pretty good - well within my budget even if I have to buy a few GigE PICs.

One worry about the G1/G2 route is that I will be sticking it in a chassis that is probably at least 10 years old - ditto on most of the PAs. The thing is probably
a ticking time bomb at this point.

 Juniper maintenance is definitely not geared
to support the gray market, so while you could probably
cobble together some hardware, getting it completely set up
might be tough.

Can anyone give me a rough idea on what software-only support plans cost? Even
just a ballpark - $1K/year, $4K/year???

 And I wouldn't try to mangle your plan to
fit a J series until you look closely at QoS on that
chassis, if QoS is a concern.
 Naturally, if you could justify the budget you could do a
lot worse than an M series.

I have for quite some time. :)

 I have to disagree with Ben about the NPE-300, though --
for the price of one of those you might be able to buy
yourself a really nice sandwich.

Yeah. I would keep the thing and probably relegate it to DSL agg. until I figure out the JunOS some more and then I'd move it to our office to replace a 3640 that's
having trouble pushing more than 35Mb/s.

Thanks again though for all the input, and all the offlist offers. I really appreciate it.

Charles

[...]

Peter E. Fry

Charles Sprickman