Hi!

I have a little network engineering question and I would like to know the best practice for that.

We have asymmetric routing in several cases. I would like to know, how you would deal against that? Is there a simple way to send the packets out of the same interface, they are received? But on the other hand, many packets are send out by us, and we do not know, where the other side is sending their packets into our network.

Is there a way to get an information, on which interface, better on which BGP session the reverse path is coming in? Yes, there are traceroute sites and looking glasses, but not for every network we deal with.

The way I see it, the only way is to get the information, on which interface the packets coming in (either by using a tool on the box or by asking the network operator itself) ans then setting a local prefernce to send the packet out of the same interface.

Any better ideas?

Regards,

Matthias