On Fri, 15 May 2009, Chuck Anderson wrote:
I've seen LAN loops etc cause junos problems.  That's why you need to
add 'policer arp FOO' under interfaces,unit,family inet.  I'd have hoped
Juniper would have sane defaults but ....

Isn't that the default?

router> show policer
Policers:
Name                                              Packets
__default_arp_policer__                                 0

I wonder what's the default threshold at? Given that we've seen problems with the default, and haven't seen since manual config, maybe its limit is higher than at least our box could handle. It's possible that more load was caused by non-ARP broadcast looped traffic though.