On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
Well, we saw something similar (that I've described on this list several
times) but not exactly what you described, starting somewhere in 7.x and
continuing until 8.5 where it was fixed on most platforms (including
MX).

For reference, this thread from Feb 2007 describes it at least once:
http://www.mail-archive.com/juniper-nsp@puck.nether.net/msg00188.html

We saw this issue as well, but it apparently (for us), resulted in in RIB sync slowness only; there was no (apparent, or at least major) packet loss.

Somewhere around 8.x -- maybe 8.5 or earlier -- it got worse instead of got fixed. Now it's causing significant packet loss as well. Maybe we have a cornercase that got worse. Or there really are some architecture specific differences that might explain the difference in behaviour (in particular I'm speculating about VERY old, memory/CPU constrained T320 FPCs). But the bad news is that JTAC's response is that this is working as designed.