I was wondering what the list recommends for traffic monitoring as far as software and which method is the most popular.

Hi Brendan,

If you don't mind spending a few pennies on a commercial system, I'd suggest Intermapper. Runs on pretty much any platform (Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, OSX, Solaris), uses a dedicated database, distributed polling/ collection and the like.

Whats nice is it does real-time analysis of traffic, graphing, threshold alarming, trap collection, etc.. as well has Netflow/J-Flow/ Sflow collection integrated into 1 system. I've using it to monitor M7is, MX240s, J4350/6350's and SRX series; and is reasonably inexpensive based on what you get feature-wise.

Regards,

- Chris.