All we use them for is IPv4 routing and BGP. Nothing else. Very few local routes also.

Sounds like we'll need the RE-850 if we want to take more than our 2 full feeds though -- although others have said we may run out of CFEB RAM first? Excuse the newbie question, but what is the CFEB RAM used for -- we have one router with one full feed and the CFEB is at 42% RAM, another with two full feeds and the CFEB is at 42% also...

Kevin Wormington wrote:
We also have a few M7is with RE-400s and 768MB RAM and don't have any problems with a thousand or so logical interfaces and 2 full bgp feeds each (only 300+k routes in FIB, and full IPV6 tables). The memory usage is at 95% but they don't swap and I think I remember seeing somewhere that the memory usage reported is always high in later JunOS releases (these are at 9.6R1.3).

I think where you run into problems is if you are using some of the advanced services - ie a bunch of MPLS L3VPNs, etc. If you are just routing IPV4/IPV6, dhcp relaying, BGP then I personally think they have quite a bit of life left in them.

As far as I now, the CPU usage doesn't have anything to due with the amount of traffic that is transiting the router since it's done by the PFE hardware.

Kevin