On 04/02/11 16:12, Ryan Goldberg wrote:
> watchguard a) is the outbound nat box for about 70 small offices (we are a
> small ISP too, these are fiber-connected customers).  it also handles some
> amount of inbound nat for those customer's various servers, which may be in
> the customers office, or a virtual host in our racks.  and maybe a half dozen
> ssl-vpn road-warrior types.  There's also a dozen or so lan-to-lan ipsec
> tunnels on it.  sustained 2-20 inbound.  light outbound.

That's an odd setup.

> watchguard b) is for internet facing windows boxes.  lotsa inbound nat.
> sustained 2-20Mbit outbound
> watchguard c) is for our office, 55ish users.  some inbound nat too.
> 0-50Mbit inbound, widely varying
> watchguard d) is for one particular hosting customer where stability is
> paramount.  The other firewalls get touched a lot (and as of late, have been
> puking when they feel like it).  2-15Mbit of sustained web traffic, with the
> odd spike or lull.

These three are fairly trivial.

> a 2821) terminates a bunch of lan-to-lan ipsec tunnels (VTI style) to 1841s
> all over the place.  box is completely VRFed, no global table, all the
> tunnels land in the INTERNET vrf and pop out in customer vlans, each their
> own vrf.  10-30Mbit
>
> So - goal is to collapse all this onto a single pair of boxes running in an
> HA config.  Watchguard a, b, and c are problematic, and are becoming more
> problematic.  watchguard d is pretty quiet, but we are contractually
> obligated to remove all SPOF from that clients setup.  the 2821 is very
> quiet, no troubles.

> My main question revolves around number of virtual routers.  We can't afford
> a big enough box to stuff everything (as in, every customer network) in its
> own vrf/routing-instance.  I will admit that I've become hooked on using vrfs
> in cisco land on ISRs (a lot of double-ISP configs, random dirty hacks).  But
> for our future firewall setup, I don't know what a bunch of routing-instances
> really buys us, if anything (aside from the psychological aspect).  All we
> really need is for all the private networks behind this thing to get natted
> to their corresponding public ip(s), and if something behind the firewall
> needs to talk to something else behind the firewall, it should go out and
> back in (getting source nattted, then dest natted).  If the J-boxes can do
> that without separate routing-instances, then we're good.

You only need instances (on SRX) for two things:
* Overlapping IP's need forwarding instances
* Multiple protocol instances (eg, seperate OSPF on either side) take
non-forwarding instances

> My other question involves HA stability.  I've seen instances with other kit
> where introducing "HA" actually reduced availability.  SRX boxes like running
> in HA, or are they fussy?

I don't run SRX's in HA, the only issues I've had in production are
firmware related (note that you can't do an online firmware upgrade of a
HA cluster, there's still a hit).

I would suggest an SRX650 over the SRX240, would be far more confident
in that handling your traffic load (on the services side, forwarding
should be trivial for even an SRX100).

--
Julien Goodwin
Studio442