On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 05:44:38AM -0700, Serge Vautour wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm confused by your statement that BGP is limited to 4096. I have BGP
> peers up with 8192:

>From RFC4271:

4.  Message Formats

   This section describes message formats used by BGP.

   BGP messages are sent over TCP connections.  A message is processed
   only after it is entirely received.  The maximum message size is 4096
   octets.  All implementations are required to support this maximum
   message size.  The smallest message that may be sent consists of a
   BGP header without a data portion (19 octets).

I suppose JUNOS lets it use an MSS of Nx4096 that will fit in the PMTU.
Then again, there was a long standing bug that shows 2x whatever the
actual MSS was on show system connections output too, so who knows. :)
But under "protocols bgp neighbor x.x.x.x tcp-mss" the maximum value you
can specify if you aren't doing automatic PMTUD is 4096, go figure.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <r...@e-gerbil.net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras