On 09/19/11 16:59, Jonathan Lassoff wrote:
 BTW, can anyone give a good real-world example of a_routed_  OOB management
 network usage?

 As far as I understand the whole concept of OOB MGT IP interface was
 invented to make the management network totally isolated from any transit
 traffic. For security concerns, at the days when firewalls were not trusty
 enough, when lack of Internet connection was not that big issue. If you
 really need to implement this, you won't run into any routing conflict,
 since it's a really separated network, will you?

how about like management networks on ss7 deployments?

It's really not that hard to conceive of a 'management card' on a network device that can twiddle all of the network device's parts and maintains a separate routing world from the production side of the hardware.

Hell, you could even envision something like this in the world of servers: ilom (sun), drac (dell), hp-whatever-the-hell...

-chris

in 2011, we CAN have more than routing table on a single device, yes?