On 01/10/2012 12:35 AM, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

In theory the way it's supposed to work is that a cryptographically
verifiable code based on the serial number (probably some sort of hash,
but no clue what they actually use) is written to the EEPROM. That way,
Cisco can give the actual manufacturers a list of SN's and codes equal
to the number of units they're purchasing, to prevent the classic
counterfeiting problem of the factory in China running during the day
for the customer and at night for themselves.

That's something I've heard before, but to be frank it's always seemed a bit... highly organised, shall I say?... for the vendors to actually accomplish.

Are you convinced that they're actually doing this? If so, I don't suppose you could share the evidence that convinced you? ;o)

If nothing else, one wonders how things like the widely-available "XYZ Compatible" optics (or the flexBox) would work if this validation were taking place.