We use an event script that converts parts of 'show interface diagnostics optics' and stuffs values into a MIB that is pollable.

The SLAX was given to us by Juniper several years ago after we whined a lot [ and didn't invest the effort to learn SLAX ]. It may not do everything -you- want, but might be useful as a start point. We've used it successfully for 1/10g 'stuff' for several years. I can't imagine they'd be upset with us sharing it.

-Michael