On (2012-06-08 12:38 +0100), Phil Mayers wrote:

> >>Even though the parts of the "world" still running is remnants of
> >>FreeBSD, the kernel is altered to be a realtime kernel.
> >
> >Do you have source to this? I'd love to read about it.
>
> Not sure if you've seen this?

Rich. I've cut and pasted mentions of real-time.

--
This benefit is evident in Junos OS, which became a first commercial
product to offer hard resource separation of the control plane and a

Multicore CPUs? Que
http://ytti.fi/scumbagmx.png

----
Most notably, the capability to support a real-time forwarding plane along
with stateful and stateless forwarding models
---
This is under monolithic and microkernel paragraph, what does that even
mean, how does the OS even relate to forwarding. And certainly FreeBSD
isn't microkernel, and I don't really think it's even important (Cisco
would probably do well to standardize  IOS XE, NX OS and IOS XR all to use
linux and same internal distribution. Don't think they can capitalize in
QNX in any way.

Then there is picture of RT core, on top of which there is FreeBSD. I only
have to think this is marketing to say there is 'real time forwarding'.
This might be true on software for J series where they used single chip I
think for forwarding and control-plane. But probably not true for branch
SRX, where forwarding plane and control-planes are just ran on different
cpus in the octeon.

At least I have 0 belief that there are any microkernel or real-time
elements added to FreeBSD, and I cannot see how they would bring anything
to you which you can capitalize on.

--
  ++ytti