On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 01:47:43PM -0700, joel jaeggli wrote:

Latency is a consideration given your control-plane is not distributed. What happens when it gets partitioned is a bigger issue. That is a problem when they're all in the same rack and there's a ring of stacking cables, it's a bigger problem at considerable remove.

Partitioning is a problem, but I'd likely provision the remote switches in the line card role. If the WAN links get interrupted, you'll lose the remote bit but you would have anyway. (I actually have a requirement for this setup, but at least it is
in the same city...)

finally while your mtbf is about the same for 8 seperate switches vs 8 in a stack the impact on overall availability due to stack failure is much greater.

Only if the entire stack fails - this should not be the case in an
EX VC setup - I've had single switches fail but the rest of the stack kept pushing traffic.

rgds,
Sascha