On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Tobias Heister <li...@tobias-heister.de> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Am 14.08.2012 15:12, schrieb Markus:
>> Isn't that weird? Where did that arp entry come from and why was it saved on
>> the Juniper for so long, and only got removed after I removed the static
>> routing of that /24?
>
> We saw a similar thing a short time ago on an MX480 running 10.4R9
> In our case it was a bgp route pointing to a no longer existing ip address as
> the next-hop. The arp entry for this ip address stayed active as long as
> there was an active route for it.
> Even clearing the arp cache witch clear arp hostname x.x.x.x did not do the
> trick. The next-hop ip was gone for several weeks and the arp entry had low
> timeout values left but never expired.
> After clearing the route the arp entry vanished as expected.
>
> I guess something keeps the arp entry from being deleted as long as there are
> or were forwarding entries in the fib for it at any time.

Probably because the underlying information ARP is learning is used to
build the next-hop in the forwarding table (which needs to know what
Ethernet address to put in the destination MAC).

However, I would think that the route should become unreachable or
pruned if ARP is failing.
What if the remote router died for some reason? If the ARP entry and
next-hop were kept into place, the path would not work, but the route
would stay active.
A dynamic routing protocol and BFD would be see this right away and
move traffic, but this would break any static routes that rely on any
dynamism with ARP and next-hops.

Moral of the story, as I see it: avoid static routing.

--j